Saturday, December 24, 2011

Day 30something ???

There is a sadly predictable absurdity in the fact that a cold experience of reality, such as the death of our dear "Gran" last week, could so completely unravel my posting consistently on the blog. I'm disappointed about that turn of events; obviously, for a number of reasons. However, I've also been somewhat surprised to discover that I'm okay with it as well. The grief, travel, family-time and general chaos of the last week have derail my writing about prayer and also prevented me from sharing my final lesson on the subject with the Springfield congregation last Sunday (Don't worry, we will fit it in after the first of the year at some point), but those things did NOT derail my praying. In fact, quite the contrary. Through a variety of experiences and circumstances over the last couple weeks, I've been conciously aware of my acute need for God's grace and sustaining provision. Wonder of all wonders this awareness of my own need and inadequacy has not led me to feel to busy to pray as I try to sort things out for myself, rather it has frequently and far more consistently led me to my knees. There, I've been asking for the help I need from the only one who holds the power to provide it. That's not a win on my part, but it is a victory God has provided that is worth celebrating.

 I hope the last month have provided some moments of joyful celebration like that in your prayer life as well. I hope that you know the expiration of this thirty day emphasis on prayer is not the end of our commitment to prayer but a bit more like the fading of the last echo of the starter's gun. Our journey of prayer, individually and collectively has just begun. There is more, much more to be shared and discussed about prayer. I have so much more to learn and experience. I look forward to doing that with you in the weeks, months, years ahead. I also think this is probably not the last blog post I'll be writing. I'll be taking a short break (oh, who am I kidding, I'll be continuing the break I've already been taking for the last week and half), but then this blog will re-emerge in some form and fashion. It will be slightly different I expect. We'll discuss prayer there, but much more than that. Oh, and I won't be committing to posting every single day either. I'm not built for that, and truthfully I doubt any of you want to hear something from me every day any way. Not sure what will emerge, but I am excited about the possibilities, and I am already praying for the conversations we'll have together.

May God bless you all this Christmas season, and may He move mightly in our hearts and through our hands in the year to come!

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't help but think of the following:

    Proverbs 16:9
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

    We should never be surprised nor discouraged when the day to day changes from what we planned or anticipated. This will probably be even more our normal as we aim to be led by the Spirit. Yes, I think, we will find ourselves on our knees more as God guides our steps. May we never get too attached to our own plans. God has much better for us!

    ReplyDelete